Impress Your Dinner Guests This Thanksgiving with a Chai Turkey from a Taste of Home
Looking for that WOW factor to impress your friends and relatives? Here is the perfect recipe from Taste of Home to accomplish that feat. It's easy, it's definitely a different taste and you can stop wondering what you're going to do with that big bird in the fridge and move on to your salads and side dishes.
- 5 quarts plus 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chai tea latte concentrate
- 1 medium orange, quartered, divided
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For marinade, in a large bowl, combine 5 quarts water, chai tea mix and two orange wedges. Remove giblets from turkey; (discard or save for another use). Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add the turkey. Place in a roasting pan. Carefully pour marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place apple and remaining orange wedges in cavity. Rub oil over skin; season with salt and pepper. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Discard orange and apple slices.
- Add 1 cup water to the pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Skim and discard fat; pour drippings into a small saucepan. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14-16 servings.