7 Things Your Kids Don’t Need For School
With school getting underway again, there are supplies and things most kids need and want. There are some they shouldn’t have, and good reasons why.
1. Oversized or mechanical pencils–Fancy pencils can get caught in backpack zippers or get lost. They also eat lead and kids refill them constantly. Plain #2 pencils work just fine and they’re much cheaper.
2. Pencil sharpeners—Most classrooms already have a pencil sharpener, so students don’t need to carry around their own. Plus, shavings can get all over the floor.
3. Dry-erase markers and erasers–Dry-erase markers, eraser, and dry-erase sprays shouldn’t be on the school-supply list because most teachers are now using SmartBoards. You can’t use regular dry-erase markers on a SmartBoard anyway.
4. Dorm-room phone–Some colleges automatically add on a charge for a dorm-room phone. Nowadays most students use cell phones because they’re more convenient than a landline.
5. Paper dictionary or thesaurus—Everything is online now, you don’t need either.
6. Cash–Younger studends usually can’t handle money yet, get them a pre paid card and teach them money management.
7. Credit cards–See number 6