Got Pork? Make Easy Sinfully Delicious Chocolate Covered Bacon
Move over peanut butter and chocolate, there’s a new flavor to savor that is more than a fad, it’s a sinful addiction. Oh, everybody wrinkles their nose at the thought, but the salty smokey flavor of bacon is complimented by the sweet deliciousness call chocolate and then you find yourself having to ration the strips you’ve dipped. Here’s the easy recipe to WOW your friends and family!
Ok, I can’t take credit for the recipe, I found it at about.com, but I can for the calories! Just relax and savory every bite!
- 12 strips good-quality bacon
- 1 lb chocolate or chocolate candy coating
- Flaked sea salt, chopped nuts, or other toppings of your choice (optional)
- 1. Prepare the bacon according to the package directions, either on the stovetop or in the oven. Make sure you cook the bacon until it is crispy.
- 2. Once the bacon is cooked, drain the fat and let it cool, then pat both sides with a paper towel of the bacon to remove any lingering fat on the surface.
- 3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If you are using chocolate candy coating, simply melting it is fine. If you are using real chocolate, I recommend tempering it by following these directions, so that it remains shiny and hard at room temperature.
- 4. Holding a strip of bacon at the top, carefully dip most of it into the melted chocolate. I prefer to keep about an inch of bacon uncovered, so that is easier to eat (and easier for other people to identify what they are eating!) but you can always use a fork to dip the bacon completely in the chocolate if you want it entirely covered up. If you have trouble dipping the bacon, use a spoon to pour the melted chocolate over the bacon until both sides are covered to your liking.
- 5. Lay the chocolate-dipped bacon on a tray or plate covered with waxed paper. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with flaked sea salt, chopped toasted nuts, or any other toppings you’d like. Repeat until all of the bacon is covered with chocolate.
- 6. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate, for about 15 minutes. Once set, let the bacon come to room temperature, and it’s ready to eat! Store Chocolate-Dipped Bacon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe and other helpful tips at: about.com