Warmer Weather Brings the Need for Summer Desserts Like Taste of Home’s Strawberry Shortcake
The warm weather really makes you want to roll the barbecue grill out to grill up your favorites. Add a pasta salad, some chips and you’ve got a picnic. End that meal on an easy high note with Taste of Home. My mom was always good at making the strawberry part but the shortcake she used was the pre-packaged kind from the grocery store. The kind you could keep in a bomb shelter for years because they are so full of preservatives. You don’t have to do that, instead serve them fresh home-made shortcake cups.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Mash or slice the strawberries; place in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fill eight greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon berries and whipped cream between layers and over tops of shortcakes. Yield: 8 servings.