Visit the Superior Farmers’ Market for this Taste of Home Recipe: Stuffed Zuchinni
It’s the time of year that fruits and vegetables are in abundance. Soon, root veggies will be harvested and then we’ll run right into pumpkins and gourdes, but I’m getting w a y ahead of myself. The main ingredient for this Taste of Home recipe can be purchased fresh (along with a lot of other goodies) at the Superior Downtown Farmer’s Market today where B105 will be broadcasting live.Everything from snap peas, cukes, peppers, eggplants and kale to eggs, chocolates, arts and crafts can be found every Wednesday at the Corner of Tower and Belknap, Center City Park in Superior with the Superior BID from 11-2. Make sure to stop by our table and sign up to win prizes. Save a zucchini for me, I’m making this recipe!
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 medium zucchini
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine first 11 ingredients and one can of the tomato sauce; mix well. Stir in tomatoes. Halve zucchini lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Fill with meat mixture; place in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over each.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese during the last few minutes of baking. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor’s Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Recipes Courtesy of Taste of Home