Taste of Home’s Hearty Hunter’s Stew Recipe is an Incentive to Shoot the Thirty Pointer
Several people have been out getting their deer stands ready for the hunting season anticipating the 30 pointer. Here’s a 5-star recipe from Taste of Home that may help in the incentive department. (Even if you get skunked, you can use a chuck roast and still have an awesome meal!)
Spending a day outside in the fresh air whether you’re hunting or doing another activity can lead to being famished. This Hearty Hunter’s stew will take care of that hunger!!! You could even use up some of your venison from last year to make room for this year’s harvest!!! Let me know what you think!!!
- 2 pounds boneless venison or beef chuck roast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 medium onions, cut in wedges
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, quartered
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium heat. Add 4 cups water and scrape to loosen any browned drippings from pan. Add the tomato juice, onions, celery, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves; add the carrots, rutabaga and potatoes. Cover and cook for 40-60 minutes.
- Stir in the peas; cook for 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
TASTE OF HOME COOKING SCHOOL COMES TO THE NORTHLAND
It’s time for our annual Taste of Home Cooking School presented by Wal-mart where we bring one of Taste of Home magazine’s chefs in to prepare delicious recipes for you live on stage. Wednesday, October 30th at Marshall School Auditorium. Doors open at 5pm, browse vendor booths and get samples from local restaurants. Show begins at 6:30pm. All attendees receive a gift bag and the chance to win prizes. Brought to you by Duluth Kitchen Company and your local Wal-mart.
VIP includes premium seating, meet & greet with culinary specialist Dana Elliott and 10% off cookbook sales*. VIP seats are limited, hurry and get your tickets now!!!