Taste of Home’s Beef Stew With Mashed Potatoes
Happy Halloween! This is a slow cooker recipe, so it probably won't work for a hearty meal before your kids head out trick or treating today, however, it's so delicious....you HAVE to try this easy recipe! You could just have a mound of mashed potatoes in the center of your stew if you don't need a theme.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (2-1/3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add the sour cream, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mash until smooth.
- Set aside 12 peas for garnish. Add remaining peas to the slow cooker. Increase heat to high. In a bowl, whisk the flour, water and remaining salt until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide stew among six bowls. Place mashed potatoes in large resealable plastic bag; cut a 2-in. hole in one corner. Pipe ghost potatoes onto stew; garnish with reserved peas. Yield: 6 servings.
Recipe from: Taste of Home