April 22nd means it's National Jelly Bean Day! While the only jelly beans I enjoy are Jelly Belly, there are a lot of tasty jelly beans to choose from. What better way celebrate the jelly bean's big day than to share some fun facts you can use to impress your friends!
1. While no one really knows the origin of jelly beans, they may be a descendant of Turkish Delight which were popular in biblical times.
2. Jordan Almonds, which are the other possible origin of the modern day jelly bean are also made this way and were made popular in the 1600’s in France.
3. The first appearance of what would become the modern day jelly bean was promoted to Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
4. They use a process called “panning” which creates the hard outer shell while preserving the gooey middle.
5. It takes 7 to 21 days to make a jelly bean.