Sugarland’s Attorney Says Duo Not Responsible For Indiana State Fair Tragedy
Based on what I've read of this tragic incident, I don't believe the duo are responsible for the stage collapse that ultimately killed fans. I've worked with booking bands and they have very little say in the venue in which they play, they just have promoters sign off that the setup will be secure. Obviously, that did not happen here but the duo couldn't have know about things like concrete slabs. Do you agree?
An attorney for Sugarland denies the duo's responsibility in connection with last year's tragedy at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. Seven people were killed and more than 40 injured when high winds blew down stage scaffolding and equipment prior to their Aug. 13 concert.
The response was filed last week by James H. Milstone, a South Bend, Ind., attorney representing Sugarland. Several victims and their families filed a lawsuit in November against Sugarland and other companies involved in producing and presenting the outdoor concert.
In the court document, Milstone stated that Sugarland "had nothing to do with any construction of the venue, the concrete slab upon which a structure was erected, the structure that was erected on the concrete slab or any of the public address components mounted on said structure and specifically deny that the location was constructed solely to facilitate this concert."
The response also states that Sugarland "did not have any control over the size of the stage nor the public address system, as this was all provided for by the Indiana Fair Board."