Minnesota Law States Every Residence Has A Carbon Monoxide Detector, Do You?
Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home? If you do, is the battery charged and is the device up to standards? A few minutes to check now, means a lifetime to your family.
I had recently received a press release about a family that had to evacuate their apartment on East Superior Street, because their carbon monoxide alarm had gone off. One of the children was taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms and luckily, will be fine. Just think about the disaster the would have been for that family if they didn't have a carbon monoxide detector, or one that was faulty and they had neglected to check it regularly.
The water heater in this residence was found to be the cause of the alarm. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, 50 ppm is the maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure in any 8 hour period, with levels above 100ppm being potentially lethal.
Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that is DEADLY. It is a by-product of a fuel burning process and can cause symptoms that can mimic flu, unconsciousness and even death. Many appliances around the home are capable of producing carbon monoxide when a faulty or unusual condition exists.
Remember, in Minnesota, it is the law that every residence have a Carbon Monoxide detector. Reading about this family made me want to stress the importance of one to you and your family. Let's do what we can to keep each other safe and healthy!