Make Baked Zucchini Chips with the Fresh Zucchini You Get at Today’s Farmer’s Market in Superior
I'm doing my best trying to find healthy alternatives to how I use to cook and bake. My family loves my zucchini bread, especially with a giant slab of butter on it (can't even see the bread). As I've been broadcasting from the Farmer's Market in Center City Park in Superior I can't help but notice the abundance of zucchini and searched for a new recipe to try. This is what I found. It's easy, delicious and you can swing by today between 11a-2p and get your main ingredient (and a whole bunch of other healthy foods)! You can even make them vegan-style.
After a friend told me she made the chips I started my search for a recipe. I got this one from skinnyms.com, a great site for women's fitness and health. Grab a zucchini and make a fresh healthy snack.
- 1 (large) zucchini, cut into 1/8" - 1/4" slices
- 1/3 cup whole grain breadcrumbs, optional Panko (homemade breadcrumb recipe)
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, reduced fat
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine in a small mixing bowl, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Dip zucchini slices into milk and dredge into bread crumbs to coat both sides. Note: It may be necessary to press crumbs onto zucchini slices to ensure the crumbs stick.
- Arrange zucchini on a non-stick cookie sheet and lightly mist with a non-stick cooking spray. We use Misto Olive Oil Sprayer. Or, place zucchini on a wire rack sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- If using a rack, place rack on a cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes, turn over and continue baking until golden, approximately 10-15 minutes (being careful not to burn). Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container.
NOTE: Zucchini Chips will continue to get crispier while cooling.
NOTE: For gluten free chips, use gluten-free bread crumbs.