July Is National Hot Dog Month! Enjoy Some Interesting Hot Dog Facts
It’s the month to grill and you can’t forget to include the tried and true favorite, the hot dog! July is Hot Dog Month so whether you like just mustard or like to load them up like me, here are some hot dog facts to impress your friends.
While hot dogs are available and yummy to eat year-round, it was in 1957 when the U.S. Chamber of Commerce officially designated July as National Hot Dog month. America’s love of the hot dog is all in the numbers; it’s estimated that more than 20 billion hot dogs are consumed annually with close to 150 million of those consumed on the Fourth of July alone!
The next time you sit down to a tasty hot dog meal and local in-season produce, why not share some interesting trivia with your friends and family. Did you know:
* Baseball fans will consume more than 26 million hot dogs at US baseball stadiums this season. That’s enough to circle the bases 36,000 times.
* In honor of the 1996 Olympics, the world’s biggest hot dog was 1,996 feet long, created by Sara Lee Corp.
* The most popular hot dog topping among adults is mustard (87.6%). Among children, it is ketchup.
* The average hot dog is consumed in 6.1 bites. (average sized mouth tested)
* NASA has approved hot dogs as a regular item on Apollo moon flights, Skylab missions and space shuttle flights.
Enjoy more via Interesting Facts about the Hot Dog!! «.