It’s National Jelly Bean Day! Enjoy Some Fun Facts On These Tummy Ticklers
April 22nd means it’s National Jelly Bean Day! While the only jelly beans I enjoy are Jelly Belly, there are a lot of tasty jelly beans to choose from. What better way celebrate the jelly bean’s big day than to share some fun facts you can use to impress your friends!
1. While no one really knows the origin of jelly beans, they may be a descendant of Turkish Delight which were popular in biblical times.
2. Jordan Almonds, which are the other possible origin of the modern day jelly bean are also made this way and were made popular in the 1600’s in France.
3. The first appearance of what would become the modern day jelly bean was promoted to Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
4. They use a process called “panning” which creates the hard outer shell while preserving the gooey middle.
5. It takes 7 to 21 days to make a jelly bean.
6. Standard color/flavor combinations are:
* black/black licorice
7. There are 130 calories and 37 grams of sugar in one serving of jelly beans which equals about 35 jelly beans.
8. Most jelly bean assortments include eight flavors.
9. In the early 20th century, a “jelly-bean” was slang for a man of style and no substance.
10. Around this time, jelly beans became a regular penny candy offered at general stores and five & dime shops across the country.
11. They were the first candy to be sold by weight rather than by piece.
Read even more on jelly beans via Twenty Fun Facts about Jelly Beans | Fill Your Plate Blog.