It’s Friday The 13th: Do You Have Paraskevidekatriaphobia
Are you superstition? I’m not. I can never remember the date of the day in the first place, so even if I was, I’m sure I’d just forget that it was Friday the 13th. Some 21 million people have paraskevidekatriaphobia so bad, they don’t go to work, they don’t eat in restaurants and they don’t get into a car, let alone fly!! Do you FEAR?
Definition from macmilliondictionary.com:
The term paraskevidekatriaphobia was first coined in the early nineties by Dr. Donald E. Dossey, an American psychotherapist specializing in phobias and stress management, who reputedly claimed that when someone was able to pronounce the word they were cured. The term is based on the Greek words paraskevi (‘Friday’) and dekatria (‘thirteen’) with -phobia as a suffix to indicate ‘fear’.
BAD LUCK SUPERSTITIONS:
- If you open an umbrella indoors, it brings you bad luck.
- If you sleep with your feet towards the door, a night walker will steal your soul.
- If you whistle at night, a night walker will come to your home.
- When a cat sneezes three times indoors, it will rain in 24 hours.
- If you dream about a dog, you will have a lot of enemies.
- If you break a mirror, it will bring you seven years of bad luck.
- If an owl hoots in your garden, it brings you bad luck.
- If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck.
- If you kill an albatross, it brings you bad luck.
- If you sleep on a table, you will have bad luck.
- If a dog howls at night, death is near.
- If you see a bird that comes towards you, you will have bad luck.
- If you drop a dishcloth, you will have bad luck.
- If you eat from the pot, it will rain at your wedding ceremony.
- If you start a trip on Friday, you will meet misfortune.
- If your left hand itches, you will lose money.
GOOD LUCK SUPERSTITIONS
- If your right hand itches, you will earn money.
- If you find a four-leaf clover, you will have good luck.
- If you see a horseshoe which was lost, you will have good luck.
- If you throw rice on a new bride and groom, they will have so many children.
- If you dream about a white cat, you will have good luck.
- If you see a black cat which walks towards you, it brings you good luck.
- If your right ear itches, someone is speaking well of you.
- You can hang up garlic in your house for good luck.
- If you put a mirror just across the door, you will have good luck.
- If you put the sugar into the cup first, before the tea, you will have good luck.
- If you step on your shadow, it brings you good luck.
- If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn, you will have good luck all winter.
- If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake in one blow, you will get whatever you want.
- If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, it brings you good luck all year.
- If a girl drinks salty water then goes to sleep, she will see her future husband in her dream.