Hold On To The Taste Of Summer With A Healthy Chicken & Apple Salad
I cringe when I get out of my car so early in the morning at work because we're starting to feel that tiny nip in the air. While we're expecting to be back in the 80's this weekend I know that Fall is right around the corner. I can't do anything to stop it, but I do have control over the taste of summer and you can too with this Taste of Home Chicken & Apple Salad Over Greens.
We did well eating healthy in the beginning of the summer. After a month we started to get super busy doing summer time fun activities and suddenly we didn't have time to make those healthy suppers and we were throwing in pizzas and meeting friends out for burgers and beers. I'm going to go two-fold here and hold on to a taste of summer while I try to kick start my healthy eating habits for the Fall and it starts with this delicious Chicken & Apple Salad.
What You Need For The Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
What You Need For The Salad:
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 10 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (to toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or you can brown them in a skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally)
Make This Delectable Salad:
Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a large bowl until blended. Add chicken, apples and onion and toss to coat. Then, just before serving, place greens on a large serving plate; top with chicken mixture. This salad looks great on a platter on your table, serve it with crusty bread! Sprinkle with toasted walnuts. Serves 6.