Get Healthy in 2014 With Taste of Home’s Kale & Bacon Salad with Honey-Horseradish Vinaigrette Recipe
Even if you didn’t verbalize “getting healthy and exercising more” in 2014 as a New Year’s resolution, I’ll just bet it’s in the back of your mind. My resolution this year was “to take the time”. Stop procrastinating and take the time to do the things I need and want to get done. Ken, my co-host asked what “things”? IT could be anything! From including more time with friends and family to finally cleaning the craft room. But, one of my “things” is to also provide a healthier diet for my family and Taste of Home will be a big part of making that happen in 2014!
Many people have heard of kale, they see kale in the grocery store but until I had it in soup at a local restaurant, I didn’t know how to use it. Now, thanks to Taste of Home and this recipe, I have another way to serve it. It’s SO good for you and your body!
- 10 kale leaves, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup 100% Pure Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
This should make 8 servings. Simply evenly distribute the kale and basil to line the plate. Then, place the sprouts, bacon, cheese, avocado, egg and tomatoes on top.
Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together with a whisk in a small bowl and drizzle the desired amount over your chilled salads. It would be best to serve them immediately.
Happy, healthy eating in 2014!