Friday Lent Meal Idea: Taste of Home Tuna ‘n’ Pea Casserole
When my daughter Kylee was growing up, I remember having to come up with creative ideas for her Friday meals during Lent. When I saw this Taste of Home recipe for Tuna 'n' Pea Casserole, I immediately thought, "I could serve THAT on Friday". Kylee is 19 now so I don't cook Friday night meals for her much anymore, but if you're still looking for that meal that works for Fridays during Lent, try this one!
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, milk, horseradish, dill and pepper. Stir in the peas, mushrooms, onion, pimientos and tuna.
- Drain noodles; stir into soup mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.