Can’t Make it to the State Fair? Make Your Own Deep Fried Candy Bars on a Stick
Be honest, one reason you endure the heat, the long lines and walking for hours at the MN State Fair is the fact that you can graze on delicious fair food all day long and never eat everything there is to eat! If you don’t get to the deep fried candy bars on a stick or if you have to take a hiatus from the fair this year don’t worry, Taste of Home has you covered with an easy recipe to make em’ at home (or the campground or cabin this weekend).
The Texas State Fair is boasting Deep Fried Nutella…HELLO, can we PLEASE have that at the MN State Fair???? Listen to this, it’s cream cheese and Nutella (the delicious hazelnut and chocolate spread), whipped and slathered over flaky phyllo dough and deep fried! YUM! Until I can conjure up the recipe for that, I’m gong to try the deep fried candy bars on a stick, I’m using Snickers.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 fun-size Snickers and/or Milky Way candy bars, frozen
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Wooden skewers
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water, milk and vanilla; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip candy bars into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop candy bars, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Insert skewers into bars; dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.