Beat Today’s Heat with a Tasty Cold Salad from Taste of Home
Humidity is high and temps will be hovering around 90 again today, what can you make for dinner that won’t require turning the stove or oven on adding heat to the home. This delicious salad from Taste of Home should do the trick. It’s both cool and healthy!
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
- 12 pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, onions, olives, parsley and basil.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegars, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
How about adding a tart sweet treat for dessert?