Are You Washing Your Hands?
We all know that washing our hands is a key to staying healthy and avoiding the spreading of germs. I’m not a germaphobe, but I make sure to wash my hands a lot, especially when using a restroom. Should we safely assume everyone is washing their hands too? Well, at first glance it looks good…but then when digging deeper you realize you may not want to share a bag of Doritos with someone else quite yet. According to a recent American Society for Microbiology survey:
- 92% of Americans say they always wash after using a public restroom
- But when researchers actually watched, it turned out only 83% did
- Barely. When people wash their hands, only 33% use soap
- And out of that, only 16% adequately was
- The average hand-washing time was a pathetic 11 seconds