Affordable, Surprising Weekend Barbeque Suggestion: Grilled, Stuffed Meatloaf from Taste of Home
I'm one of those people that actually ORDER meatloaf at a restaurant. Love it! But, usually give it up during the summer months for lots of reasons. For example, we start making hamburger patties for the grill or it's too hot to start the oven. I was excited to stumble upon this Taste of Home recipe for meatloaf that is GRILLED and stuffed with my faves, mushrooms and butter! Give it a shot this weekend and enjoy the warm temps!
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oats, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; spoon mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Discard foil.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Form a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. square); cut three slits in foil. Place meat loaf on foil; place on the grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients; brush over loaf. Grill 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.