A Much Tastier Cabbage Soup with Protein and Seven Day Diet Plan
Ok, we've all tried the diet soup recipe and the seven day plan, right? My first recipe was all water and vegetables and not much flavor. It was really hard to stick to it. The search was on to find a tastier cabbage soup recipe and I found it on a website from a gal named Catherine.
I will give you her website to visit at the end of my blog, maybe you want to follow her recipe and instructions exactly. Since I'm a runner, I wanted to alter mine just a bit to add some protein, which I did in the form of tofu.
Again, I altered the recipe, but I like the taste and I am including time saving tips!
INGREDIENTS (remember, mine will be a bit different from the original recipe)
- 1 bunch of green onions, sliced (or two wouldn't hurt)
- 1 green pepper, cut in bite sized pieces (or two wouldn't hurt)
- 1 package of match stick carrots
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes, do NOT drain them
- mushrooms (I used canned but fresh would be MUCH better)
- 3 celery stocks, sliced (or more if you want)
- 1 package of shredded cabbage
- 1.5 t of chicken bouillon crystals
- 1 48oz can V8 juice (Catherine says to use low sodium, I didn't)
- half a package of tofu, cut in bite sized squares (or more if you want)
- Season to taste, pepper, curry, garlic powder, etc (try to use little sodium)
Put the everything into a big pot and add 8 cups of water. I brought it to a boil, turned the heat to simmer and covered the pot. Simmer it for about an hour and a half, or until your veggies are tender. During the last 15 minutes I added the tofu.
Because there is very little salt, I used Mrs. Dash's Table Seasoning to add a little zip. Now I just need to follow Catherine's suggestion for what to accompany my soup for the next seven days.
She has a great downloadable e-book too! I appreciate her time and efforts to research the Cabbage Soup Diet. I'm altering her suggestions and kind of making it my own. I suggest you do the same and use the flavor, ingredients and method that works best for you and your beautiful body!
Here's where you can learn more about the Cabbage Soup Diet: