A Christmas Candy Favorite from Taste of Home: Homemade Gumdrops
Ok, I honestly almost deleted this recipe...sounded to hard, then as I read through the directions I realized it wasn't. They look darling and imagine the oohs and ahhs you'll get when you fill the candy dish with Taste of Home gumdrops and say "oh those? I made them"!
- 2-1/2 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups applesauce
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) red or green gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, applesauce, red or green gelatin, unflavored gelatin and lemon juice; let stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Immediately pour into a cold 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm
- With a spatula, loosen gelatin from sides of pan. To remove, invert onto waxed paper. Using kitchen scissors or small sharp cookie cutters dipped on hot water, cut into 1-in. squares or shapes.
- Place on waxed paper. Dry at room temperature for about 8 hours or until slightly sticky. Roll in remaining sugar. Store in an airtight container. Yield: About 1-3/4 pounds.
Happy Candy Making and Merry Christmas!