5 Reasons I’m Glad I Went To My Class Reunion
I really had a tough time trying to decide this year if I was going to attend my 10 year class reunion. It was never that I didn’t get along with anyone really. It wasn’t that I had any bad feelings about high school. The thing that was holding me back was that I figured, “why relive the past?” I see everyone on Facebook. I have very few weekends free in the summer, why would I want to go back to this class reunion?
What made me finally decide to attend after all was I thought I would regret it. Who knows what I would have missed? And you know what? It was way more fun that I ever figured it would be.
1. You forget how much you miss your classmates until you see them again. You see your high school friends on facebook and maybe drop them a line once every couple of years. Then when you’re sitting across from them at the table, you’re picking up where you left off 10 years ago.
2. You don’t want to be the “what happened to him?” guy. We didn’t focus completely on people who weren’t there, but there were some people we really missed. We kind of felt a little pissed that they didn’t show up. Here we were driving from miles around, and someone that still lives in town couldn’t make it. What happened there?
3. Cheap Drinks. This actually was just a surprise. I think cheap drinks always should be a part of a class reunion. It loosens people up and gets things going quicker.
4. You get to experience a milestone. Class reunions show up in songs, movies, stories, books, etc. It’s a big thing for a lot of people. You see what things were like back then, and relive memories and see how far you’ve come. It’s a time when you specifically look back at the last decade or two. Hopefully you can smile and laugh at yourself along the way.
5. It’s just a few hours. One of the reasons I didn’t want to go in the beginning was because I am so busy. I work a lot of weekends, we have tons of family get togethers, etc. Then I decided to make the reunion part of a trip back home to see family, and it only took a few hours. Honestly, it was the most fun part of the trip.
I understand some people hated high school. Maybe they were picked on, didn’t get along with people, or whatever reason. I had some good times and a few bad ones growing up, but if you’re like me, it’s easy to forget the bad times and really enjoy yourself. I’m not saying everyone NEEDS to go to their class reunion, but I strongly encourage people hesitant.