12 Secrets Of Debt Collectors
If you’ve ever been in the uncomfortable position of having a debt collector calling you, you may wonder what is happening on the other end of the phone. Here are 12 things you may not have known about debt collectors:
1. They teach us that all debtors are compulsive liars, and no matter what you tell us, we’re supposed to keep pushing.
So we ask, Can you borrow the money from friends and family? Can you take money out of your 401k? Can you pay it with another credit card? All horrible ideas that would make a good financial planner cringe.
2. Like us or not, we’re a vital part of keeping the cash flow going in this country.
In 2010, more than 10,000 collection agencies collected over $8 billion. Can you imagine the impact on the economy — and on all the companies that were owed money — if that $8 billion hadn’t been collected?
3. We’ve heard every tale of woe.
We may listen and act sympathetic, but in our notes, all those excuses are summed up as HLS, for “hard-luck story.” You’re wasting our time, and time is money.
4. The more money I get out of you, the bigger my bonus will be.
Every month, we watch top performers get bonus checks of $10,000 or more.
PLUS: What Your House Cleaner Isn’t Telling You
5. We also have an astounding power to wipe out thousands of dollars of your debt.
Most accounts have a one-time settlement rate that’s preapproved (typically 15 to 35 percent on credit card debt).
6. A lot of agencies buy debt for pennies on the dollar, so always start your settlement offer low, maybe 25 cents on the dollar.
Say something like “I have $200 that I can apply toward this debt. Will you accept that as payment in full?” If I say no, ask what I’m willing to accept as a settlement and negotiate from there.
7. Sometimes when we’re negotiating, I’ll say I have to get a manager involved, and then I’ll have another collector be the “bad cop.”
The theory is that just having another voice on the line will open up your wallet.
See the rest via 10 Secrets of Debt Collectors – Manage Your Life on Shine.